July 21 – July 25, 2014 and Information for Next Week
Burn Brae Day Camp of Creative Arts takes great pride in our campers; their gifts are many and no two are the same. Not only have we seen them blossom in creativity, we see them daily, developing a camaraderie amongst themselves, wherever two or more are gathered. “Feel the Burn” is part of the chorus of a song called “Burn Brae Rocks”, written and performed by Burn Brae senior camper, Jordan Singer. It has quickly become an anthem that can be heard around Burn Brae’s campus, whether Jordan is singing it or not.
Week in Review:
- Second four-week campers arrived this past week and are already getting into the groove with their schedules and various activities.
- Seniors went bowling at Thunderbird Bowling Lanes in Willow Grove. No one kept score, but our campers enjoyed a few spirited games while keeping cool inside on an unusually hot and humid day.
- Seniors Bring-a-Friend to Camp was a success! Nearly 60 campers and friends spent their afternoon together, and then stayed after hours to enjoy the After Camp Swim, Pizza & Dance party.
- Campers dressed in tropical wear for Friday’s Hawaiian Hullabaloo. They received gifts, leis, played water balloon volleyball, had a beach party at the pool, and had an incredibly vibrant Showtime.
July 28: Photo Day (Group Photos). WEAR CAMP T-SHIRT and NAME TAG.
July 29: JUNIORS Bring-A-Friend to Camp Day and After Camp Pizza Party. (Ages 7–9) Signed and dated permission slips required for all attending. More info and permission slip here.
July 29: SLEEPOVER (Ages 9+). More info and permission slip here.
July 30: PAJAMA DAY. Wear your PJs, but please remember your swimsuit! Camper Showtime. (Special Guest Performance...Shh!!!)
Meet Rich Cox, who began working at Burn Brae while in college, before returning for his teaching degree. Rich joins Burn Brae for his 5th year as a Rock Band, Piano, and Guitar instructor; he teaches every instrument, more or less. Rich has a twelve-year old son who is a camper, and a fifteen-year old daughter who is an apprentice, both at Burn Brae. During camp’s off-season, Rich teaches music at the Buckingham Friends School.
He appreciates the diversity among Burn Brae’s campers. While they vary in age and skill levels, they manage to successfully work with, and help each other. Asked what he thinks makes Burn Brae different, Rich credits Lisa, our director and founder, for setting the tone and fostering a community where campers are encouraged to make friends, have a fun and safe summer, and are inspired to learn.
Apart from Burn Brae, Rich has been a guitarist and singer in a band called City Rhythm for almost fifteen years. With performance credits too many to name, they cover all genres of music and he has opened for popular acts and names including Bon Jovi, and Randy Bachman, legendary guitarist and songwriter, formerly of the band, The Guess Who.
In Other Important News:
Need More of Burn Brae? There are just three (3) more weeks of our regular camp schedule remaining. If you are interested in extending your camper's stay for Camp Plus (Aug 18 – 29), please give us a call ASAP at (215) 657-3388 or email your requests to firstname.lastname@example.org If you enroll with a deposit of $400 by August 15 for Summer 2015, you will receive current 2014 rates. Registration will take place at Arts Fest on August 14. If you are unable to attend, you may send in your deposit before that date.
BIRTHDAYS at BURN BRAE in SUMMER and BEYOND. Let us cater to you for your child’s next birthday party any time of the year. Let us know what you need, and we can make it happen. Professionally staffed, themed parties (Sports, Pool, Ga-Ga, Disney, character, favorite movie, etc.), we aim to please. Click here for more info.
- The weekly Newsletter, News You Can Use! @ Burn Brae Day Camp, as well as Permission Forms and other important camp information are posted to our website each weekend.
- Many of our buildings are air-conditioned for these hot, summer days!
- Please label all camper belongings including instruments and cases.
- Drive slowly as you come in and out of camp each day. The speed limit is 5 mph!
- Remember to put on sunscreen each morning! Girls with long hair shuld wear ponytails when swimming. Goggles are optional but advised to protect sensitive eyes. Footwear must be worn from the locker room to the pool.
- Self Drivers: IF YOUR CAMPER WILL BE ABSENT, PLEASE CALL THE CAMP OFFICE BY 8:30 AM. If you use camp transportation, please call your driver by 7:30 AM if your camper will be absent.